kennis en inspiratie- inschrijven gemeente

Registering yourself at the municipality in 3 steps.

When you come to live in the Netherlands – or relocate within the Netherlands – you have to register yourself. You do this at the municipality where you are going to live. In this article we explain how to do this, why you do it and when you do it. We also share another useful tip that will certainly come in handy during the process.



How to register yourself with the municipality.


Thanks to this handy overview, your registration will be a piece of cake. Here it comes.


  1. Get a signed rental agreement – in Dutch – from the flex manager.
  2. Make an appointment with your local council.
  3. Bring a valid ID (not a driving licence), the signed rental agreement and any other family members (including babies, young children and the elderly) to your appointment. Register yourself. The official will guide you through this.

Are you moving from one Dutch municipality to another? Then re-register with your new municipality. To do so, follow the same steps. In some cases, this can also be done digitally. When you move (back) abroad, you have to deregister with the municipality.



Where and when do you register yourself?


That’s very simple. Registration takes place at the town hall of your place of residence. Are you planning to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months? Then register yourself within 5 days. The process starts on the day of arrival, or when it becomes clear that you will stay longer than 4 months.



Why is registration necessary?


Registering with the municipality is a mandatory step for anyone staying or planning to stay in the Netherlands for more than four months. This registration is also called entry in the Key Register of Persons (BRP) and is important because…

  • You can use facilities such as schooling, childcare and healthcare thanks to this registration.
  • You are entitled to social benefits such as healthcare allowance as a result.
  • You will be given a citizen service number (BSN) when you register, you will need this, among other things, to open a bank account and take out insurance.
  • You can buy or import a car to the Netherlands from then on.
  • This allows you to apply for a DigiD. You need this for digital communication with government agencies and other service providers.



What does it cost?


Nothing at all. Do you need proof – for example, because you want to register for a rental property? Then there are costs involved. These differ per municipality and can be found on their website.



A car with foreign registration?


You are not allowed to drive a car with foreign registration plates in the Netherlands. In some cases, it is not even allowed at all, depending on your situation. Are you registered in the BRP (or should you be)? If so, you must first import your car and provide it with a Dutch number plate. More information on this subject? Then click here.


Meer kennis en inspiratie

kennis en inspiratie - medische zorg

Medical care in the Netherlands; everything you need to know!

A medical issue that requires attention? In the Netherlands, you contact your GP in such cases. In this article, our absence consultant Manouk tells you all about this topic.

How to make a good CV?

How do you know what to put in your CV? What not to put? And how do you make sure your CV stands out? In this article we explain how to go about it. Good luck!